The leather produced at a tannery usually lead to the establishment nearby of enterprises that used leather. Leckie’s Corners boasted both a shoemaker and harness maker, Robert Drury, directly across the road in the 1860s. Robert Drury was born in Ireland and came to Canada with his mother and sister in 1842. It is thought that he first owned a harness shop on the second floor of the Tannery. This would have been an ideal location for obtaining hides. In May 150, he purchased ½ acre of land from Thomas Mansell right across the road form the tannery and built a house and harness shop. The date that he built them is not known but an 1863 map shows the house and shop. On 28 June 1861, the following ad appeared in the Almonte Gazette.
In 1866 he moved his enterprise into Almonte.