The Schoolhouse

ln 1856, a new stone schoolhouse was built next to the tannery. In this picture taken in 1898, the woodshed at the back of the school can be seen. It was the responsibility of the students to bring the
wood in from the woodshed and keep the fire going in the school. Students also brought water to school from the nearest supply. This school served School Section Number 9 (S.S.#9). One of the early
school inspectors was Rev John McMorran who became the minister at the Auld Kirk in 1846. The school was in use until 1970. The school house is now a private home