The Tannery

The Tannery built in 1839 by Thomas Mansell who is listed as its owner in an 1851 Directory of Merchants. People from all over the area brought their Animal hides to the Tannery to be processed into leather. This involved soaking them in vats with the bark of various tress such as oak or hemlock.
Tanneries were always built by a source of water that could be dammed to create a source of power to grind the bark. In this case, it was built by Woolton Creek. In 1908 it was reconfigured as the Mississippi
Pride Cheese factory after fire destroyed the original cheese factory. In the 1930s it took on a new role as a dance hall for a short period of time. It had since been restored as a private residence